[Postcards From The South]

In an effort to learn a little bit more about this world and our place within it, we have decided to embark on a year-long journey through Central and South America beginning in March of 2008. This is a personal account of our experiences and observations as we explore the depths of this continent, and ourselves. Enjoy!

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Well, I guess that's it


Jonathan:
We are now officially unemployed. After months of anticipation and an ever present post-it countdown at my desk, we said our goodbyes and walked out the doors of our offices yesterday not to return until... well, whenever. I'm not sure the magnitude of this transition has hit me yet. We've been told that it will probably take 4-6 weeks for it to really sink in. I guess that sometime in April we'll be sitting on a beach somewhere, maybe Belize, and it will suddenly occur to the two of us that we are completely free. For now, that realization hasn't happened yet.
To be honest, today has felt like any other Saturday—lazy morning, ran some errands, that sort of thing.

On some level though, I do feel like my departure from work has piqued my curiosity about the drastic personal transformation that awaits me this next year.
It's hard to say how much of my sense of self is tied up in the things I do, so I find myself wondering... If I'm no longer a designer (and all the things that come with that), what am I? I guess that's the point, really. I'm looking forward to finding out.

5 comments:

Kyle Reath said...

Jon & Megan,
I'm conflicted - I think you guys are nuts while at the same time wishing I was in your shoes. Take lots of pictures for those of us who will most likely never experience a fraction of what you are about to face and carry warm thoughts from my family and I with you on this incredible journey...
Kyle

le wonderboy said...

It hasn't sunk in for you two that you are leaving your work, homes, and families to embark on an adventure for a year. It hasn't sunk in for me either. Every time i read more about what you are doing and planning I become more aware and happy for the both of you. I one day hope to experience something similar. good luck and keep in touch!

james b@tty said...

Hey guys,
The blog looks grawesome (great + awesome) :)
Just wanted to send a note to the Blog for updates and to wish you both the trip of a life time. This it will surely be. What a wonderful experience for the two of you. You must be so excited and of course nervous too.

No worries amigos!
The wind becons...

Ciao!
-James

Unknown said...

I am in complete agreement with Kyle...I am impressed and in awe of your adventure but to no extent surprised by the things you do Megan! Best of luck to you both...I can't wait to see where you go and what you do. Carrie

Mombi said...

This is just so outstanding. I'm thrilled for both of you and can't wait to read updates. This is an outstanding opportunity and you are both so brave for venturing on it--I'm sure you'll never regret it!

All I can say is that I'm very, very jealous and can't wait to hear how I could manage to do something like this myself!

-Meghan