[Postcards From The South]

In an effort to learn a little bit more about this world and our place within it, we have decided to embark on a year-long journey through Central and South America beginning in March of 2008. This is a personal account of our experiences and observations as we explore the depths of this continent, and ourselves. Enjoy!

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Learning to learn



Megan:
I cannot say enough positive things about our experience so far in Guanajuato. As Jon already mentioned, a pleasant surprise seems to greet us at every bend in the road as we explore the city. But even more impressive are the benefits we are getting out of our language classes. The school and my motivation level have surpassed anything I had hoped for. I am finding that the better I become at communicating, the more I want to learn! I cannot picture a better scenerio than walking out of a Spanish class and being immersed in a community that speaks the language.

We have been sharing a home and two meals a day with a local family while we're here. We are enjoying the opportunity to eat delicious home cooked food, share stories and practice what we are learning each day in school. I must admit that I often have to just smile and pretend to understand what they are taking about, but Jon has gained an ability to understand of most of their stories, and I'm getting better each day. We spent our dinner last night speaking mainly in Spanish with each other. Our conversations are typically very basic and a little broken, but are becoming more natural and fluid all the time. We have enjoyed spending our afternoons finding opportunities to practice and our evenings doing our homework over a glass of wine.

With much enthusiasm, I am off to study a little before bed.
Buenas noches.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jon and Megan,

Got this post a comment thing to work finally. Wonderful personal sharing, wonderful pictures, fabulous immersion experience! Kudos to you both and thanks for sharing your trip with us.
Bob Mischke

Anonymous said...

Genca provided me with your blog address. It's especially fun to hear about Guanajuato where I took a Spanish immersion class, too. It is a wonderful city! I appreciate the fabulous and colorful photos so much. Please add me to your email list. Lynda Parker
lyndalparker@earthlink.net

Anonymous said...

from Grandmother I am delighted and amazed.. you both look great Best wishes for your future travels. Love